Argosy University, Salt Lake City*
Campuses with an asterisk ( * ) are currently not accepting new students effective July 2, 2018. If you are interested in an Argosy University program of study at another location or online, please call (855) 758-5664.
The purpose of Argosy University’s Master of Arts in Education (MA) School Counseling degree program is to prepare individuals to serve as school counselors. The program is designed for candidate’s who have already completed a bachelor’s degree program from a regionally accredited institution and seeking school counseling credentialing. Based on state requirements, students may be required to complete additional experiences or coursework.
The MA in School Counseling degree program leads to the Utah State Office of Education Teacher Certificate for Guidance Counseling upon completion of all state and program requirements, including passage of the PRAXIS II – Test 0421. This program is approved by the Utah State Office of Education and only meets the certification requirements for the State of Utah. Students, who wish to work in a State other than Utah, are responsible for investigating the other states’ criteria regarding reciprocity of the State of Utah State Office of Education School Counselor Licensure.
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution, or an appropriately certified foreign institution
- A grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a scale of 4.0) during the last two years of undergraduate work and any subsequent study
- A minimum score on an Argosy University pre-approved English language proficiency test is required for all applicants whose native language is not English or who have not graduated from an institution at which English is the language of instruction as specified in Section Five, Admission Policies, English Language Proficiency Policy .
- Evidence of a criminal background or fingerprint check
- A Writing Sample submitted with the program application
- Program interview with School Counseling Program Faculty and recommendation for admittance
- Submission of all required paperwork (e.g. transcripts, application forms, etc.)
Departmental recommendation by the program chair for admittance based on a review of all admission materials. All applications for admission must be submitted to the Admissions Department. An admissions representative is available to help interested applicants complete the following required documentation:
- Completed Application for Admission Form
- Personal/professional goal statement with a self-appraisal of qualifications for the profession
- Current résumé
- Three letters of recommendation (Two from a source familiar with student’s academic abilities and one from a current school administrator)
- Official transcripts from all postsecondary schools attended
A student is eligible for graduation from the MA in School Counseling degree program when the following requirements are met:
- Satisfactory completion of all requirements in the program of study (51 credit hours) that includes:
- 39 credit hours of core courses
- 3 credit hours of electives
- 3 credit hours of practicum
- 6 credit hours of internship
- A grade point average of 3.0 or higher (on a scale of 4.0), and a grade of “B-” or better in all required courses and not on academic probation or in process of SPDC or SCC referral
- Passage of all state required certification exams, including the PRAXIS II – Test 0421
- Complete the exit survey
- Commit to do a follow up study of impact on student academic learning during the first year of practice as a guidance/school counselor.
- Completion of all requirements within five years of matriculation in program
- Completed Petition to Graduate Form submitted to campus administration
*The MA in School Counseling degree will not be awarded until all state exams are passed.
Utah School Counselor Certification Requirements
Graduation from the MA in School Counseling degree program does not guarantee certification. To qualify for certification, the following conditions must be met:
- Successful completion of all program requirements, including the and Dispositional Assessment
- Passage of the Utah PRAXIS II – Test 0421
The MA in School Counseling degree program leads to the Utah State Office of Education Certificate for Guidance Counseling. All other programs offered through the College of Education at Argosy University, Salt Lake City DO NOT lead to teacher or administrator certification, licensure, or endorsement in any other State in the United States.
Students enrolled in the MA in School Counseling degree program are required to complete 13 core courses (39 credit hours).